WEIGHT LOSS YOGA
Did you know that over one billion worldwide todays are overweight? Obesity is the most common nutritional or metabolic disorder. The obesity is related both to dietary factors and secondary lifestyle. This aspect is considered important because it is associated with increase mortality, predisposes to the development of fatal diseases and diminishes the efficiency and happiness of those affected. It is a disease common to the present day sedentary lifestyle in larger number of cases.
Obesity is defined as an excess of adipose tissue due to enlargement of fat cell B.M.I (Body Mass Index) is used to determine obesity of people. (Measures a person’s height and weight).
Disease risk * Associated with Overweight by BMI
BMI (kg per m2)BMI = body mass index
Low (but risk of other clinical problems may be increase)
18.5 to 24.9
25.0 to 29.9
Obesity Class I
30.0 to 34.9
Obesity Class II
35.0 to 39.9
Obesity Class III
*Causes obesity is caused by a combination of both genetic and environmental influences.
Excess fat accumulation may be due to imbalance between the energy intake and energy expenditure. There are no specific causes as such but factors influencing area.
- Physical Inactivity
- Endocrine factors Hypothyroidism, Cushing Syndrome
- Psychological Factors, Depression, Anxiety, etc.
- Sedentary life style
Yes, it’s a rising epidemic, caused by:
- Societal changes
- Global transition in nutrition
- Change in lifestyles due to rising incomes, large scale modernization/automation
- Work change from physically strenuous to more sedentary
- Food habits changed from healthy, complex carbohydrate to energy-dense, saturated fats and sugar-filled food.
Obesity adds to the burden of an already long list of chronic diseases and disabilities:
- It is physically debilitating
- Causes serious psychological problems
- Health risks – Type 2 Diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and stroke.
- A deteriorating quality of life and premature death.
More worrisome is the rapid increase in child obesity caused due to:
- Minimal physical activity combined with poor food choices.
- Advent of technology has changed children from active, energetic contributors to the future to a dull, obese and physically unfit generation.
YOGA MANAGEMENT FOR OBESITY
Obesity is a pandemic life style disorder of this generation but there is a cure within our reach, proven and time tested over 5000 years. There is enough evidence and research to prove that practice of yoga can indeed help in efficient management of obesity and help bring down stress levels in our modern day-to-day life. Thus it is little wonder that physicians of modern medicine prescribe yoga as a therapy for leading a healthy, stress-free better quality of life.
- Yoga does not treat just the symptom; it is more holistic, correcting the balance between mind, body and spirit.
- Apart from restoring physiological well-being, it helps one attain an ideal body weight, builds stamina and fortifies psychologically, making the modern man ready to deal with any stress.
- Regular practice of yoga, helps build a conviction and the strength to continue to eat less and exercise more.
- It is an internal therapy, where the Weight Loss Program can remove deep-rooted behavioral disorders, making a positive impact on the entire lifestyle and thinking process of a person.
Yoga is not a quick-fix, temporary weight loss therapy; it’s a permanent solution for a life time.
PROPER EXERCISE – ASANAS
Yoga Asana or yogasana is physical exercise. Its gentle stretches not only tones the muscles, ligaments, tendons and all body parts but helps improve blood circulation and overall flexibility of the body. Practiced in a slow and relaxed manner, with all attention diverted inwards on the breath, it enhances the spiritual experience. Yogasana is the third limb in the Raja Yoga system.
Need of Asanas:
- Stimulate sluggish glands
- Improve hormonal secretions
- Balances thyroid gland – helps weight loss and increased metabolism
- Best asanas for Thyroid – Fish pose and Shoulder Stand Position.
PROPER BREATHING EXERCISE – PRANAYAMA
The unconscious process of inhalation and exhalation enlivens the body, mind and soul. Inhaling means intake of life element, Oxygen and exhaling is expelling of waste.
Pranayama or proper breathing helps one tap into the storehouse of tremendous energy in the Solar Plexus which is released for physical and mental rejuvenation.
Need for Pranayama:
- Increases oxygen intake into body cells
- Increased oxidation which burns fat cells
- Experience overall feeling of goodness and being alive
PROPER CLEANSING – YOGIC KRIYAS
Sodhana kriyas cleanse the internal organ, which in modern parlance is known as detoxification. Removal of impurities through this cleansing process helps every organ and system function as its optimal best.
Need for Yogic Kriyas:
- Stimulates the entire system
- Organs connected to stimulating system also benefited through reflex mechanism
- Improves circulation, absorption, assimilation and elimination processes
- Gain control over involuntary bodily functions
- Modulates dominance of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system
PROPER DIET – SATVIK FOOD
Yogic diet consists of easily digestible, healthy food. It is simple, natural and wholesome with a subtle effect on the mind and astral body. This diet makes one healthy, promotes keen intellect and peace of mind.
Practice of yoga calms the mind thus helping one get over anxiety or binge eating, where we end up eating more, adding to the weight. Practice of yoga inculcates a tendency to eat just enough to live, not living to eat.
Need for Satvik Food:
- Ensures optimal body weight
- Will normalize glandular activities